Workshops listed below are led by OSU Extension Service forestry faculty upon request. These hands-on workshops are good for families, clubs, business groups and more. Donations are suggested to support education programs at Hopkins Demonstration Forest. Call 503-632-2150 for workshop scheduling and more details.
Geometry of Trees
Learn how to use common forest measurement tools: clinometer, diameter tape, Woodland Stick-practical, hands-on, and in the field! Participants receive a Woodland Stick with an instruction card. Suggested donation $15/person.
Finding Your Way
Learn basic orienteering skills using map, aerial photo and compass. Participants develop skills as they navigate a cross-country course through the forest and back. Borrow ours, or bring your own compass. Suggested donation $15/person.
How to Know Trees
Learn basic tree identification using the dichotomous keys found in Trees to Know in Oregon field guide. Participants may borrow or purchase Trees to Know in Oregon. (Latest edition is $18.00.) Suggested donation $15/person.
Other workshops offered seasonally at Hopkins Demonstration Forest:
- Plant Your Trees Right (winter)
- Mountain Beaver Natural History and Control (winter-spring)
- Managing Woodland Wildlife (spring)
- Marketing Products From Your Woodlands (summer)
- Managing Forest Roads (summer)
- Pruning Young Conifers (fall)
- Thinning Your Forest (fall)
- Timber Harvesting (summer-fall)
- Forest Fungi Foray (fall)